The filing period begins today for the 2016 elections. The General Assembly recently moved the state's primary elections up to March 15th—an early holiday gift for local politics geeks, perhaps an annoyance for others.
So, what's on the line for Orange County in the March elections?
- A partisan primary election for NC Senate District 23, currently held by Senator Valerie Foushee (D), who is completing her first term.
- Partisan primary elections for NC House Districts 50 and 56, currently held by Representatives Graig Meyer (D) and Verla Insko (D), respectively. Meyer is completing his first term. Insko is completing her tenth term.
- A partisan primary election for an at-large seat on the Orange County Board of Commissioners, currently held by Commissioner Bernadette Pelissier (D), who has announced that she will not seek reelection after completing her second term on the board. Mark Marcoplos (D) has announced and Matt Hughes (D) has announced intentions to run for the seat.
- A partisan primary election for two District 1 seats on the Orange County Board of Commissioners, currently held by Commissioners Mark Dorosin (D) and Penny Rich (D), both completing their first terms. Rich has announced she will run for reelection. No word yet from Dorosin, but signs (ie, OP editor gossip?) point to another run.
- A partisan primary election for a District 2 seat on the Orange County Board of Commissioners, currently held by first-term incumbent Commissioner Renee Price (D), who has announced that she will run for reelection. Word has it that Bonnie Hauser will challenge Price for the seat, though we've seen no formal announcement.
- A general, nonpartisan election for
threefour seats on the Orange County Board of Education, including two seats currently held by Steve Halkiotis and Tony McKnight and one seattwo seats recently left vacant by the resignations of Lawrence Sanders and Debbie Piscitelli. [Update below.—Eds.]
- A general, nonpartisan election for one seat on our local Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors, currently held by Roger Tate.
The filing period ends at noon on December 21st. As usual, we will soon post a page of election information, including candidate information, important dates, and more.
What are you hearing? Share below!