Some of you are familiar with this issue from the Indy: http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/why-is-the-fbi-interested-in-the-anti-war-movement/Content?oid=1786829
Please come to this important conference against FBI and Grand Jury repression at the UNC School of Law. Visit the Committee to Stop FBI Repression website for the complete agenda: http://www.stopfbi.net/conference/north-carolina.
Southern regional organizing conference of the Committee to Stop FBI Repression. Read the press release here.
The conference will be held Saturday Feb. 19 at the UNC Law School in Chapel Hill, NC, from 10:00AM to 5:00pm. Please register now.
You can make an online donation to support the conference - please put "FBI Conference" in the "designation" section of the donate form.
Directions and parking information are available on the UNC School of Law website.
- Conference is free and open to the public, but we are asking for $5-20 sliding scale donation to help cover costs.
- Lunch is $5, no one will be turned away.
- Need childcare? Let us know the number of kids and their ages.
- Need housing? Contact housing coordinator email@example.com
9:30am - 10:00am Registration and breakfast
10:00am - 10:10am Welcome to the conference, opening remarks from conference organizers
10:10am - 10:30am
Keynote address from subpoenaed activists
Subpoeaned activists Meredith Aby (Twin Cities Anti-War Committee) and Steff Yorek (Freedom Road Socialist Organization) provide an overview of the September 24 FBI raids on antiwar and solidarity activists.
10:30am - 10:45am Call for donations to the legal support fund
11:00am - 12:15pm
Panel: History of FBI and Political Repression Against People's Movements
- Moderated by Elena Everett from Raleigh FIST.
- Lewis Pitts; Raleigh NC.
- Efia Nwangaza, US Human Rights Network; Atlanta GA.
- Theresa El-Amin, Southern Anti Racism Network; Columbus GA
- Dianne Mathiowetz, International Action Center, Atlanta GA.
12:15 - 1:15pm Lunch (will be provided, please bring $5 donation if possible)
1:15pm - 2:45pm Panel
Panel: Grand Juries, Material Support of Terrorism, the Legal and Political Context of the September 24 Raids
- Moderated by Kosta Harlan, Triangle Committee to Stop FBI Repression
- Peter Gilbert, UNC Center for Civil Rights; Durham NC.
- Lela Ali of In the Name of Humanity; Rocky Mount NC.
- Khalilah Sabra, MAS Freedom; Raleigh NC.
- Maureen Murphy, Palestine Solidarity Group; Chicago IL.
- Meredith Aby, Twin Cities Anti-War Committee; Minneapolis MN.
- Jennifer Rudinger, ACLU; Durham NC.
2:45pm - 3:00pm Break
3:00pm - 3:45pm
Discussion: Organizing reports from around the South
Opportunity for activists to discuss the protests that they have held, outreach to legislators, building community support.
3:45pm - 4:30pm Discussion of a plan from the Committee to Stop FBI Repression for future actions and protests
4:30pm - 5:00pm Summing up the conference, led by Steff Yorek
Sponsors of this conference include
- ACLU of North Carolina
- Asheville Committee to Stop FBI Repression
- Atlanta International Action Center
- Balance & Accuracy in Journalism (BAJ)
- Blackwater Watch
- Durham Bill of Rights Defense Committee
- Durham County Libertarian Party
- Freedom Road Socialist Organization
- Freedom Road Socialist Organization/Organización Socialista del Camino para la Libertad (FRSO/OSCL)
- Green Party of the United States
- In the Name of Humanity
- Internationalist Books
- Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD-USA)
- Jews for a Just Peace
- Libertarian Party of North Carolina
- Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation
- National Lawyers Guild at UNC Chapel Hill
- NAACP--Chapel Hill/Carrboro Branch
- NC Stop Torture Now
- North Carolina Peace Action
- Orange County Bill of Rights Defense Committee
- Orange County Peace Coalition
- Orange Chatham Progressive Democrats
- Peace and Justice Committee, Community Church of Chapel Hill UU
- Raleigh F.I.S.T.
- Raleigh Fruitcakes
- SDS - Asheville
- SDS - Tuscaloosa
- SDS - UNC Chapel Hill
- Southern Anti-Racism Network
- Triangle Committee to Stop FBI Repression
- UE Local 150
- US Human Rights Network
- Veterans for Peace, Eisenhower Chapter
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom --Triangle Branch