The 2008 primary election was held on Tuesday, May 6th, the primary run-off for County Commissioner from District 2 was on June 25th, and the general election on Tuesday, November 4th. See related blog posts and events at http://orangepolitics.org/issues/elections/2008. See early voting locations and hours at: http://www.orangepolitics.org/2008/10/its-on.
Important dates from the Board of Elections:
In 2008, the Orange County Board of Elections will conduct a Primary Election on May 6, 2008, and a General Election on November 4, 2008, for local, state and federal offices.
Below are timelines and deadlines associated with the 2008 Elections. Note entries are hyperlinked to their underlying statutes.
November General Election Timelines and Deadlines:
- Advertisement of election - September 15, 2008
- Absentee Ballots available for voting - September 15, 2008
- Advertisement of election - September 22, 2008
- Advertisement of election - September 29, 2008
- Registation books close for General Election - October 10, 2008
- One Stop Voting begins at the Orange Co. Public Library - October 16, 2008 (other locations and times to be announced)
- Deadline to request absentee ballots in writing - October 28, 2008
- One Stop Voting ends - November 1, 2008, 1:00 p.m.
- Absentee ballots must be received in BOE office - November 3, 2008, 5:00 p.m.
- Date of General Election - November 4, 2008, Polls are open 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.
- Official Canvass - November 14, 2008, 11:00 a.m.
- County recount request deadline - November 17, 2008
- State recount request deadline - November 18, 2008
- Certificates of Election issued - November 20, 2008
- Official CBE Canvass - November 20, 2008
- Official SBE Canvass - November 25, 2008
- Certificates of Election issued by SBE - December 1, 2008
Candidate websites: The Carrboro Cybrary has compiled a list of website for state and local candidates. Individual websites are also listed in the OP candidate guide.
Land transfer tax
This issue was also on the 2008 primary ballot. See discussion at: http://orangepolitics.org/tags/transfer-tax
The following offices are on the ballot:
- Orange County Board of Commissioners, 4 of 7 seats
- 2 from district one (Chapel Hill/Carrboro), 1 from district two, 1 at-large
- Orange County School Board, 3 of 7 seats
- District Court Judge, District 15B (Devine seat)
- NC House districts 56, 54, & 50
- NC Senate district 23
- US Congress district 4